Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Dependency

     Smooth sailing, was all I met this afternoon as I cruised my bike from downtown all the way into the outskirts of unknown small towns.  I encountered  copious amounts of nature both within and outside of the city.  I stepped out the door only to be met by a murder of crows hovering menacingly above my building.  As I moved further into downtown I encountered city trucks scooping leaves on the side of the streets into giant piles  as squirrels scampered about nervously.  The further I moved out of the city the more calm and relaxed the nature around me became and I found myself becoming relaxed right along with it.  Instead of a malicious murder of crows I was chirped at pleasantly by the last of falls birds and the deer relaxed near the trail I forged instead of scampering away in fear.  The best type of nature is nature left to itself.
   The sad truth is that humanity cannot leave nature alone, we depend on it for our survival.  We need its resources, its minerals, its timber, its square footage to help support our culture.  It is impossible for us to leave nature unmolested by our demands. The parts that could be left in peace are frequently invaded by our endless curiosities urge to explore the unknown depths of nature.  Although it is nature's best interest for us to keep out, the opposite is true for humanity our best interest lie in the invasion of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment